On 10 Reasons for the Wizard's Tower
Why do Wizards hang out in towers?
10. Symbolism! The tower is an ancient symbol of arrogance and hubris. Look at how high my tower reaches over my demense! Behold my power and glory!
9. Isolationism! Towers represent the idea of someone who wishes to remove themselves from polite society. They are above it.
8. Fortification! There is only one entrance. In order to invade, you must storm up the stairs. There is literally less square surface area to enchant/protect.
7. Visibility! If you wield vast cosmic power, you wouldn't want anyone approaching to be able to hide from you, no?
6. Display of Power! It takes knowledge, engineering and know-how to build a tower, otherwise every peasant would do it.
5. Protection! Robbery, Home Invasion, and Murder were commonplace. Nobody can just break into a tower -- the separation and height protect it from stealthy infiltration.
4. Power! Ley lines and magical sources are more corrupted near the ground. The higher the tower the more energy is available.
3. Peace and Quiet! Being up in the air like that gives you some distance from whatever distracting hustle and bustle is on the ground.
2. Freedom! It's cheaper then a castle and there's no lawn or grounds! Upkeep is easy and they can avoid all those distracting mundane tasks that they are forced to engage in.
1. Safety! It provides protection and a convenient excuse for all those irate peasants who are certain that you are the reason all their cows are sick.
And the number one reason for wizards to live in towers --
It's the most efficient layout for storing all their damn books!
Look forward to over 25 different mortars that Alchemists and Wizards can use to protect their homes in Alchemy coming soon!