You always were handy with tools and you liked taking things apart and putting them back together. You made a living as a tinkerer, but always spent your time on thinking of and creating new ideas.
Skill Proficiency: Intelligence (Investigation); Charisma (Persuasion)
Tool Proficiency: Tinker's Tools, Jeweler's Tools
Equipment: Abacus, Backpack, Ball bearings (1000), Bedroll, Block and Tackle, Bucket, Chain, Crowbar, Traveler's Clothes, Lamp, Iron Pot, Iron Spikes (10)
You have a tiny animal companion that you have constructed. It is in all ways like a normal animal, except you built it from gears, pipes, steam, and fabric.
There was always something more to understand about the world and how it worked. Inventors love taking things apart and putting them back together again. They have a natural curiosity and exuberance about the world.
- I want to know what that is over there! And how this works! And how that happened!
- I know many secrets that I mustn't tell, but I talk about them all the time, I just can't tell them.
- I know that if I present myself in the latest fashions and present myself as a modern avant garde personality, people will take my inventions seriously.
- There's no point to going out if you're not having fun. Other people never seem to appreciate my jokes as much as I do.
- I don't have a screw loose, but I might lose a screw. For my toast. I understand and they don't.
- I'll be rich, independently wealthy! Someday. I just need some investors.
- There's only one way to test an invention, and that's in the field during live fire. There's nothing more invigorating than that!
- I don't say much, ideas I keep to myself can't be taken.
- Empowerment: I want to make the world a better place with my inventions. (Good)
- Order: There's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things. (Lawful)
- Change: I want to change the world with my inventions. (Chaos)
- Stingy: I don't want to share my secrets with anyone. My inventions are for me. (Unaligned)
- Tyrant: Once I'm powerful, I'll be able to rule everyone who wronged me. (Evil)
- Liar: Well, if it helps you get the job done, you'll say what needs saying. (Evil/Unaligned)
- I know of a famous inventor out there that I'll find someday.
- I once made an invention I carry, but I don't know how to do it again. I'm afraid if I take it apart I won't be able to figure out how to put it together again (Work with your DM to invent the device).
- I know that those people want their money, but they just don't understand the difficulties with getting things done on time.
- One of my companions is your sibling or relative who's looking out for me.
- I have a small child or baby in your charge.
- I've got an idea for the kind of laboratory I'm going to need, and so I'm traveling around looking for all the most important kinds of equipment. I've heard there's a Forge of some kind near Phandelver. . .
- Only the results are important. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
- You just borrowed all that money/that energy source/that device. I'm going to return it when I'm done with it.
- I'll betray my closest friends for success and fame.
- I'm actually really lazy and don't like doing the work required to be a successful inventor, instead I exploit people at every turn.
- I have deviant and illegal tendencies.
- Someone stole one of your inventions and has been using it in the commission of crimes. And now they are hunting you for it.
Running a B/X game? Give these advantages instead of proficiency and features. You can also give these bonuses if running a 5e game using 3d6 for character generation.
- +2 Intelligence.
Like these backgrounds I wrote? I collected them in a Pay What You Want .pdf, and affordable hard copy!
Hack & Slash Compendium I at RPGnow for 3.99!
Hack & Slash Compendium I at Lulu in affordable print! (7.99$)
Hack & Slash
Follow, Google +, Newsletter, Support