What's funny about this, is the simplest system for psionics ever produced was in 1st edition. The vast majority of people believe that it's the most complicated, when in fact it is the simplest.
Here is how you resolve a psionic combat in first edition.
Declare attack power,
Opponent declares defense mode,
Find result on chart,
Repeat until defeat,
No die rolls. Just superfast look-up. It is substantially more complicated in 2nd edition and 3rd edition.
So why is the belief that the 1st edition system is the most complex? Two reasons. Special cases and the fact that the system is spread out over 3 books.
If you're at all interested in psionics, then you should check out my free psionics download. It is, at its core, styled heavily after the 1st edition system. That is to say, fast, flavorful, and providing powers that are unique and not magical. If you like it, you should spread the word!
What are my favorite things about it?
- Flavorful combat. In 2nd/3rd/4th edition when you use psionic powers to kill an opponent, they die. Here, you confuse them, feeblemind them, turn them into a robot, or wound their minds forever.
- Simple Power Selection. Playing a psionicist? Pick two powers. No picking a specialty or complicated chains of requirements.
- Simple Power Activation. Declare Power, Pay Cost. No roll under system here.
- Creative Balanced Powers. I've had power gamers play with this system try to break it, and mostly they discover, psionicists are only as good as the creativity of the person playing them.
- Added Value. Of course it has rules. And dozens of powers. And a class. And a selection of kit's/packages. And a Background table. And Items. And Encounter guidelines. And a Combat quick reference sheet.
- It's Free!
What are you waiting for!