I would hope my loyal readers would be smarter than the average bear.
I bet if you owned a railroad, you would be pretty bitter business isn't as good as it was in 1880, right? I mean we're much worse off now, aren't we? Doesn't it take longer to ship goods and cross the country?
What an Aquamaroon!
Blogs are sources of information and news. The natural tendency is to notice one or two things and extrapolate general trends. This is foolish.
Here are today's "MYTHS OF THE BLOGOSPHERE" dispelled.
Megadungeons are old hat/No fun/Out of vogue
So there was an article and a meme about 2000 copper and some rats. There was also some discussion about how a single session of Dwimmermount didn't go well for a single group. The Era of the Megadungeon Must be Over!
In the year 2000 there were just a handful published mega-dungeons, Temple of Elemental Evil, Teagle Manor and Undermountain. Castle Greyhawk was a myth.
Today, in addition to Dwimmermount of the 2000 copper meme, there is Barrowmaze, Stonehell, Castle of the Mad Archmage, Rappan Athuk, Anomalous Subsurface Environment, Numenhalla, and Worlds Largest Dungeon (Don't bother so much with that last one), as well as several others in development on G+, Blogs, and Forums, (Most notably by Benoist Poire)
Oh, you say, but those aren't very popular or good.
- Rappan Athuk kickstarted 246,541$
- Barrowmaze II kickstarted 12,702$ For an OSR project.
- Barrowmaze reviews: "Wow." "Instant Classic" "Worth getting for the joy of reading alone".
- The most popular game ever on G+ was a megadungeon not listed above!
Oh, you say, but these aren't very original.
- Anomalous Subsurface Environment is an explicitly non-standard setting.
- Barrowmaze comes with Illustration books in the style of the old modules -- the first megadungeon to do so.
- Stonehell uses the 1-page dungeon format for each section of the dungeon.
Oh, you say, but no one is blogging about it.
- Here is Keith Davies Multi-part theory series about Mega-Dungeon Node Design.
- Here is the new, great Megadungeons.com website, covering all megadungeon news!
- Here is an obscene amount of work collected at the first of this year.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. The era of the megadungeon lives!