|Trigger: Mechanical: Tripwire or Trigger Wire||Effects: N/A|
|Save:Armor Class||Duration: Instant|
|Resets: Manual||Bypass: Disarm|
Description: These are most often triggered by tripwires, this causes a melee weapon such as a log, axe, blade, spikes, or scythe to shoot or swing out, cutting, smashing, or impaling characters. Variations include triggers that caused timed attacks, poison on the blades, or magically enhanced blades.
Detection/Disarming: This is the second most frequent 'trap tax' type of trap, where player agency is put second to the random roll of 'is the trap found.' (The most frequent is the arrow trap). Let's take a step through the ways we can restore agency to this venerable trap.
- The prototypical dead body.
- Cracked walls or cut walls, stained with blood. This can be the result from the trap being triggered.
- Often there is either a open or plaster covered space in which the weapon rests. This option can be particularly stealthy when there is a small passage (big enough for an arm, say) that contains the weapon within this passage. This is very hard to detect.
- Bits and chunks of metal from destroyed armor. Unless the hallway is swept, damage from previous victims should be discoverable.
- If the weapon is on any sort of metal swing, such as a buzz saw or an axe blade, then there should be the scent of oil on the air. Likewise for a log attached to a rope, the smell of wood should be out of place in a dank dungeon.