A New Internet GameZak S came up with an idea of passing around Joesky's Carcosa adventure between bloggers, each taking a turn to add content until the original idea was just part of a larger campaign.
If you're next, comment either here or on G+. First one of the original 8 to comment is next.
Hello, it is my turn now AGENCY GOES EVERYWEHER! I also cleaned up the HTML a bit.
A CARCOSA AVDENTURE FOR YOU
Original map by Dyson Logos
This color: JOESKY (Feb 17, 2012)
This color: Zak S (Mar 6, 2012)
This color: Baz Blatt (March 7, 2012)
This color: Ian Johnson (March 11, 2012)
This color: Courtney Campbell (March 13, 2012)
YOUR MISSHIN: KILL THESE GODDAMS BEFORE THEY SUMMON THE AMFIBIOUS ONES. THE SORCEROR IS READY TO ROCK, JUST WAITING FOR SOME FOG AT NIGHT and the Acturan champagne to cool to just the right temperature. MAYBE THE PCS ARE HIRED BY AFRAID VILLAGERS, OR THEY CATCH A JALE GUY WHO RAN AWAY, OR SOMETHING TO TELL THEM THAT A RIUTUAL IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN. Or maybe someone's noticed precisely the right varieties of gem, creature, and virgin are missing. The Jale guy's innards reach up and climb out of his mouth as he blabs, his kidney reversing and slapping him round the face as his kneecaps explode due to some horrible curse put on him by the Boss-man. No one likes a squealer . WHATEVER, JUST GET THEM OVER THEIR AND TELL THEM TO HURRY THE FUCK UP AND SAVE THE LITTLE GIRL or maybe steal the little girl from the sorcerer and do their own ritual and get the Amphibious Ones to do their nefarious bidding. IF YOU WANT TO PUT SOME URGENT ON IT, THEN SAY TONIGHT WILL BE A FOG NIGHT, OR SOME NIGHT IN 1-4 NIGHTS.
THIS IS A SMALL LAIRE SO BIG FIGHT NOISE FROM ONE AREA (#1-5) WILL ALERT ALL THE OTHERS AREA, UNLESS YOU DO A REAL SNEEK TAKEDOWN. Or sneak in, get a hold of the champers and replace it with a cheaper brand. While the big boss is screaming the house down and skinning the servants the PCs can pull a fast one. If the need for impartial adjudication is necessary; the cultists are human, resulting in a base 15% chance of attempting to hear noise. Normal noise, such as talking travels 4d4x10'. The fog will reduce this distance by half. Meaning that noise will travel, on average 50'. Roll for particularly loud noises. The first noise noticed by cultists will set them 'on alert'. Then they will attempt their listen % every turn. On a successful roll, they will locate the party. Add 50% for combat, and 25% for yelling, loud talking, or other obvious noise. (It would be automatic, but the fog causes a dampening effect.)
ALSO THE AC IS DESCENTING BECAUSE IN AMERICA YOU’ARE FREE TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT AND YOU CAN PRY MY DESCENTING AC FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS (BUT I HOPE IT SOENS’T COME TO THAT!!!! But also I've added ascending AC because America--unlike Carcosa--was built on the principles of both Liberty and Equality....not to mention Convenience.
The cultists have taken their captives to hex 2013 (See Supplement V: Carcossa). They are using a ghost town as their hideout while waiting for the right time for the ritual. For more information on hex 2013, skip to the end of the document.
1) ASSHOLETREE. Gnarled ancient limbs twist around strange white stones. This tree appears to be long dead, though slightly taller then the nearby wall. Examining the 'strange white stones' will reveal that they appear to be bones. JUST LOOKS LIKE A DEAD TREE (and, temptingly for your sneakier PCs, it is 10' taller than the wall to which it is mouthwateringly adjacent--which wall is 80' tall if you are wondering. Oh, and so are all the others.) BUT THE JOKES IS ON YOU! SPAWN OF SHUBNIGURATH (MV NONE, AC 8/12 BARK, HD 15, SPECIAL ATT., AL C). SLEEPS IN DAY, ONLY TIME OF FOR DANGER IS NIGHT. IF ANYONE GOES UNDER THE TREE TO SLEEP OR PISS OR SPY OR JUST WHATEVER, ROOTS COME OUT FROM GROUND AND A GRAB -ATTACK IS HAPPEN! The spawn does this real sneakiy like, with the first tendril could be well up the interloping scrotes trouser-leg and tickling his fancy before he notices – rolls 3d6+6 vs inside leg measurement to see how far it gets towards making him a soprano. ON 6D6 ROLL EACH ROUND – UNDER STR 3X IN ROW AND YOU BREAK FREE, ROLL OVER 3X IN ROW AND YOU ARE SUCKED UNDER THE DIRT (INSTADEATH!), ANYTHING ELSE AND YOU JUST STUCK IN A WRESSLE. FRENDS WHO HELP MIGHT GET A GRAB-ATTACKT TO – THE ASSHOLETREE MAY SPREAD ITS GRABBER ROOTS AROUND, LIKE 2D6 AGAINST ONE GUY AND 4D6 AGAINST A NOTHER, OR 2D6 ON ONE AND 3D6 ON OTHER AND 1D6 FOR SOMEONE ONE OTHER ATTACK, ETERCETERA……..ETC…….. (THE TREE LIKES TO GRAB LOTS OF PEOPLE SO DON’T BE A DICK DM AND GIVE ALL 6D6 ON ONE DUDE IF MORE PCS ARE THEIR). ANYONE NOT GETTING ROOT-FONDLED CAN ATTACK (ONLY CHOPPER WEPONS DO DAMAGE. NO TRESURE HEAR, JUST A SHITTY ATITUDE TREE. If compelled to reveal its secrets by some means it pretty much knows everything because nobody is like Oh, hey we better not talk about this here because there's a tree. Including he knows the Boss can't hear anything. As do most of the cultists below, by the way. The spawns name is Dave and it is lonely. It will keep schtum at first, but promising to find it a singing shrub or patch of Vampiric Marigolds to chat with will be enough to persuade it to spill the beans. Random personality determination rolls of 8, and 8 from the "Character Traits" document indicate that the tree is 'Happy'!
2. ROMPUS ROOM. 8 JALE CULTERS (AC 8/12, MV 12, HD 1, AC 8 HEVY ROBES, 1 ATTACK WITH A KNIFE OR CLUB, AL C) DICK AROUND IN HEAR NOT DOING MUCH. Or possibly playing the 'Soggy Biscuit' game, your choice. Oh head, Carcosa is an even worse place than I thought. 55% CHANCE DURING A DAY ONE OFTHEM PAYS ATTENTION OUT THE FRONT DOOR TO SEE INTRADERS, 13% CHANCE AT NIGHT. When they attack, they continually beg the characters to submit. They say "Let my knife caress your skin, the ecstasy of submission to the power of our dark lords cannot compare to earthly existence. Let me bless you with my club. I shall smite you to bliss and glory. Why do you prevent us from granting you eternal blessings? If you resist us, it will corrupt the granting of wishes. We are trying to save you!" 20% chance one of them goes out to have leak by the wall, not the tree. (Why the fuck do people and dogs always piss on trees? Showing comptempt for Druidism?) Marking territory. THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT THE TREE SO IF THEY SEE IT EATING SOME-ONE THEY WILL IF A TREE EATED SOME-ONE THEY WILL FREAK OUT (A MONSTER-TREE????? I DID NOT SINE-UP FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11) (Generous Dm might have the bloke piss on the tree before the PCs and blow the gaff – don't forget to mention the torn off goolies if you do, you could offer to sew them back on if you rescue the poor schmuck) AND COWARD IN THE ROOM. FOR HAPPENS IN THAT IS A YES. EACH GUY HAD 4-16SP + 0-5GP TRESURES. Anyone with GP in treasures finds it in the form of a horsehair braided wristband with a small jade stone as centerpiece.
2A) BACKDOOR BERNIES. 2 JALE CULTERS (MV 12, AC 9/11SHITTY CLOSE, HD 1, 1 ATTACK SLING OR KNIVE, AL N) LOOK OUT THE BACK WAY and also, occasionally "fish"--or whatever the word is for trying to pull slimeslathered finny abstractions out of whatever pellucid ooze passes for water in dim Carcosa. THEY ARE SCARED SHITLESSS AND ALWAYS ALERT 80% OF THE TIME. ALSO THEY ARE NOT CONVINCE THAT RAPING GIRLS AND HANG-OUT WITH MONSTERS IS A COOL; IDEA, SO IF IF THE PCS LOOK ALL BUFF THEY WILL SWICH SIDES AND JOIN AS HENTCHMEN AND FIGHT HARD TO MAKE THINGSR IGHT.NO TRESURE FOR THESE GUYS, THEY JUST PAYED THEIR CULT DO’S. Though they do have a net and a tackle box. It has some twisty hooks and live bait--unsettling, small things best left alone, really. One is psionic and whispers things. It is kind of like an emeraldish looking dumpling with teeth. It can be used as a magical or psionic battery to double a caster's power, but every time it is used it gets one of the caster's actions with which to do as it dumplingly pleases. It may save these up for a whole simultaneous mess of mayhem or dribble them out one at a time. The small dumpling tries to convince the players to eat it. It whispers "put me in your mouth. Swallow me! Digest me and make me one with you! If the players do, they gain a free random psionic discipline. Determine using the Psionics supplement or the rules for Carcosa. The players also gain a random insanity.The only thing the poor men have had any luck catching are axolotls, which they have stored, along with a few inches of water, in a clay pot. They are unaware of the axolotl's connection to the Amphibious Ones. They also have a copy of "The Compleat Angler" whose title translates into Carcosan as "Mesh Death".
If they do turn stoolie, don't forget that their boss has put curses on all potential squealers – 1n this case the Curse of the Macroid Toe, the slow swelling of one toe of their left foot until it reaches the size of a house in 2d6 days, at which point it will burst and the creature growing inside of it will emerge. The toe can be cut off before that point, although the inflicted will be incapable of doing so because of the pain of the inflamed nerves when touched. If left alone, the creature will begin to consume it's host, while begging to have its giant phallus stimulated. "I am hungry. Would you deny me my right to survive? You are the soil that will give birth to me, a creature greater than you. What have you ever done of note? Those things are plain, simple things of happenstance. They have no importance in this world. Your time is done, simply accept it and move on. My protuberance desires attention. Engage in a meaningful activity in your last days and grant it pleasure. Make something of use of your moments remaining besides this meaningless complaining and noise you engage in."
3) SHITSTORM. THIS IS WHER THE TOUGHGUY CULTERS HANG OUT. 4 JALE CULT THUGS (MV 12, AC 7/13 NAKED BUT FAST, HD 2+1, 2 ATTACKS EACH WITH A CRAZY LOOKING SICKEL OR CURVY SWORD OR SOMETHIN-G IN EACH HAND unless the PCs are very quiet, one is kinda hiding around the corner and has blinding powder--makes a 10' cloud, save or be blind, AL C, CAUSE FEER UNLESS SAVE VS. SPELLS FOR ANYONE WITH LOWER HD) GO FUCKING CRAZY AT THE CHANCE TO FIGHT. IMMUNE TO ANY MIND GAMES THAT CAUSE THEM NOT TO FIGHT, DONT BOTHER MORALE. ORANGE WARPAIINT IN SWURLS & SIMBOLS, HOOT AND HOLLAR, DO CARTWEELS AND FLIPS TO CHOP YOU UP. NO TRESURE, THESE FUCKERS ARE IN IT FOR THE MURDERRAPEING.A fifth Jale man with dreads is playing a multi tube digeridoo in the corner. There is a blacklight in one corner and the orange is dayglo; if there is no other source of illumination this room could look like a room full of acid house fans doing interpretive dance until the blades hit. This guy has an assortment of wraps of powders of various colours. The green one pops pleasantly on your tongue and makes you go blind, the blue one cleans away bloodstains, the white one is sherbet, the ulfire one makes your eyeballs come out in stalks and act like one of these crazy bastids.
THERES ALSO A FIRE WITH SOME TASTY LIZARD MEAT GRILLING UP ON STICKS (EAT A HOT FOOD MEAL EACHDAY HEALS EXTRA 1HP PER DAY).
THE STARES GO DOWNSTARES 20′ THEN END IN A GIANT METAL DOOR OF HI-TECHNOLOGY. THEIR IS A PALM LOCK THAT OPENS FOR A SPACE ALIEN HAND (EVEN A DECAPATAINTED ONE) (Packs of degenerate space aliens are conveniently located in the badlands just north-west of the ghost-town. This is common knowledge for locals, who avoid the area like the plague) OTHER WISE YOU NEED EXPLOSIONS OR LOTS OF DINOSARS TO OPEN THIS BABY UP. INSIDE………………….IS UP TO YOU, DM!!!!!!!!!!!11 MAYBE A WAY OFF CARCOSA IF THE PCS ARE JUST VISIT FROM ANOTHER CAMPAINE, MAYBE SPACE ALIEN GOODIES, OR MUMMY BRAINS OR SOMETHING……….THE IMAGANATION IS YOUR LIMIT (IE. NO LIMIT). One example is that: This sealed door is what the ritual of the Jale sorcerer (room 3a) was intended to open. Beyond the doors is the flickering, watery home of Amphibious Ones and their Great Pale King. This could also be an entrance to your megadungeon.
3A) BOSS ROOM. HERE WE GO, THE MAIN EVENT!!! IN THIS CORNER IS A REAL PRICK, ‘THE MEGATOLLAH OF MAYHAM’ JALE 4TH LEVEL SORCER (MV 9, AC 4/16 CHAIN+HEVY ROBES, HD4, ATTACK PIRATE SWORD OR SPECIAL, AL C). His ears have slowly LaMarcked over into clubbed mounds in response to his Serpentine Amplifier (see below) and so he can't hear. He relies on his guys in room 3 to warn him of impending whatnot. He'll be asleep if the PCs show up during daylight.HE WARES A CREEPY SNAKE-MAN FILTER OVER MOUTH THAT AMPERFIES HIS SHOUT TO DEADLY SOUND LEVEL! WHEN HE YELLS A CONE BLASTS OUT 2D DAMAGE TO 20′, 1D TO 40′, FARTHER AWAY THEN THAT ALL IT DOES IS PISS YOU OFF IF YOU HAVE A HANG OVER. HE CAN BUST SHIT LIKE THE 3 LITTLE PIGS IF HE STANDING REAL LYCLOSE. WHEN HE MAKES A SHOUT IT TAKES 3 ROUNDS TO RECHARGE FOR ANOTHER ONE. IF THE PCS END UP WITH THIS THING, MAKE IT A 5% CHANCE PER USING TO BLOW ITSELF UP. HE KNOWS THE TWO AMFIBIOUS ONES RITUALS. HE WARES CHROME BRACERS WORTH 75GP + GOLD TOERING 25GP + a 'Prince Albert' ring with a diamond in it 125gp.
AND NEXT TO HIM IS HIS LOVE-BIRD A JALE CHICK 2ND FIGHTER (MV 12, AC 8/12 CHAIN BRA+PANTIES, HD 2, ATT. 2 FLAME OIL BOTTLES, AL C). She likewise has all fucked-up ears but they look better on her--she still can't hear though. SHE WARES 8 JADE BRASELETTES ON ANKLES AND ARMS shaped like centipedes WORTH 40GPEACH + GOLD BELLY CHAIN 45GP (I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!!).
THEY MITE EVEN BE BROTHER/SISTER LIKE IN THAT MOVIE “THE CROW” WHICH MAKESIT EVEN WIERRDER……..OR NOT I JUST THOGUHT THAT COULD BE GOO DA IDEA. LIKE IN THE CROW. I HAVE SEEN THIS MOVIE ABOUT 12 TIMES AND I HAVE A THE CROW CREW JACKIT (I DID NOT WORK ON THE CROW, ONLY WATCH TED IT.) I have the soundtrack. I think one shat on my window once. I was gifted a particularly bad anthology that was inspired by the movie. In truth, it was far from "inspired." Regardless, the movie was awesome and the people contemplating a remake deserve to be sacked.
ANYWAY THEY LIKE TO HANG BACK AND WATCH THE THUGS GO TO TOWN, SHE WILL LAUGH AND TOSS OIL BOTTLES EVERY KNOW AND THEN. IF TWO OF THE THUGS GO DOWN HE WILL JOIN IN COMBAT WITH A SHOUT (assuming they're awake) (HE DONT CARE WHO HE HITS)(and, yes, he is dumb enough to kill everyone who can hear), THE SISTER WILL TRY TO RUN OUT BACK AND GRAB THE WHITE GIRL AND RUN AWAY.
JACKEDPOT!!!! THIS IS THE TRESURE ROOM, A CHEST XCONTAIN: 1135GP + 924SP + 23 PURPLE CRISTALS WORTH 30GP EACH. A LITTLE POT CONTINAES GOOP THAT LOOKS LIKE HONEY, SMELLS LIEK TURDS, AND S 4 DOSES THAT IF YOU EAT YOU GET PSIONICS POWER FOR 1-2 DAYS (and a small handlike "crown" grows on the tip of your tongue, it will slowly try to reach into your brain while you sleep if not amputated within 3 days). A SILVER COFFER WORTH 75GP HOLDS SNAKE-MEN POTENCY ROOTS. 4 PRIMO-BLEND TORCHES THAT BURN FOR 12 HOURS EACH AND CANT BE BLOWED OUT, ONLY SPLASHED OUT WITH WATER ARE AGANST THE WALL. AND THERE’S A MAN-CATCHER IN HEAR TO (MAKEUP SOME RULES FOR). The boss and his babe use the sleeping body of a pupal giant Mothra as a bed. It won't turn into a Mothra for like 5 more years. Probably someone would pay good money for it if they could get it alive. Weighs about 500 lbs. There is also a set of instructions for the snake man weapon thing – they begin 'In case of sonic attack on your district, follow these rules...'
4) WALK THE DINOSAR. IN HERE IS A bright red ANKLOSARUS (MV 6, HD10, AC2/18 SKINS, 1 ATT. IF IT HITS ROLL D4 1) BITE 1D, 2) STOMP 2D, 3) TAIL THWAP 3D, 4) NO DAMAGE BUT TOSSED 30FEETS AWAYS, AL N) THEY ARE TRY TO TAME BY STARVE HIM, BUT IT DOES NOT WORK. HE IS CHAINED TO THEFL OOR BUT NOW IS FEDUP WITH THE BULL-SHIT: ANYONE COMES IN AND IT BRAKES A CHAIN AND GOES NUTS. ALOS IF IT HEARS A FIGHT NOISE IN #3 IT GOES CRAZY AND BUSTS THREW THE WALL LIKE A KOOL-AID-MAN (BUT WITH ANGER TO GIVE INSTEAD OF REFRESHING KOOL-AID). WHENEVER IT ATTACKTS IT GOES FOR RANDOM PERSON (EVEN CULTGUYS). TRESURE: A DEAD CULT BODY (GOT TWO CLOSE DUMMY!) HAS 4G.P. + 15S.P. + 6 ARROWS + SILVER DAGGAR. Also, the ankylosaur's shell is encrusted with precious gems (for some ceremonial reason) worth 1000gp, but each miss--like any hit that would've made it if not for its meddling AC--destroys 1 gp value worth of gems per hit point of damage done. Her name is Igina, and her personality is aggressive. She enjoys kale and stepping on ribcages until the screams stop.
5) COME AND GET EM. 3 PRIOSNERS TIEDTO THE 3 PILLERS HERE AND TORCHES BURN ON OF TOP EACH ONE. A fourth pillar holds another body, but both this prisoner and the torch are extinguished.
PRISONER 1: PURPLE DUDE (MV 3, AC9/11, HD 1HP LEFT, NO ATTACK UNTIL YOU GIVE HIM A WEPON, AL N). HES BEEN BEATDOWN AND FUCKED UP SO HE WILL PROBALY DIE NO MATTER WAHT BUT IF YOU SET HIM FREE AND GIVE HIM A WEPON HE FIGHTING LIKE A 5TH LEVEL FIGHTER TO GET HIS REVENJE ON JALE ASSHOLES.ONE HIT KILLS HIM SO TRY TO MAKE SURE GETS A SHOTIN. Has a tattoo on his arm 'No one likes us, we don't care', the motto of a local bandit gang. Keep him alive and let him free he might lead you to their hideout in the badlands in the north west, in the space alien ridden badlands.
PRISONER 2: WHITE GIRL (MV12, AC 9/11, HD 1/2, ATT. DAGGAR, ALN). SHE GOT THE wiggly DAGGAR HID SOMEWARE SO IF A UNTIE COMES FROM THE JALE CHICK TO RUN, A STAB HAPPINS RIGHT AWAY. TRY TO KEEP HER SAVE, SHE DOES NOT DESERVE A CARCOSA HER. (MAYBE GIVE EXTRA XP FOR A RESCUE). She is dyed orange for some reason, and speaks with a peculiar drawl. Says her name is Sharon and she was on her way to 'Saahfend' when she was kidnapped. Saahfend is the lair of a terrible scaly blue slime (Spawn of Shub-Niggurath) of the same name, which requires the worship and a yearly sacrifice from Sharon's village in exchange for their safety. Sharon had been died orange as the ceremony requires, and was on her way, escorted by three armed men and Pithekoi mounts, when the cultists set upon them when they made camp near these ruins.
PRISONAR 3: BONE LADY (MV 15, AC 7/13 NAKED BUT FAST, HD 3, ATT. STRANGAL). THOSE ARE SOME WEIRD STATS FOR A JUST BONE LADY………..BECASUE SHE IS NOT! A TRICK IS MADE!!!!!!! SOMETIME IN THE PASSED DAYS A FUCKER SPAWN NIGURATH CREPT OUT FROM SWAMP AND GANKED HER IT HAS DOPPELGANGLER POWERS. HER SKIN IS MOSTLY SEETHROUGH BUT SOME NOT-SEETHROUGH PATCHES MIGHT GIVE THE TRICK AWAY. ALSO SHE TALKS LIKE THE KEY-MASTAR OF GOZER, SO THE PCS SHOULD BE WTF???? IF UNTIE SHE COOP-ERATE FOR A COUPLE ROUNDS, THAN WHEN A BACK IS TURNED SHE STRIKES. ONE OF THE GUYS FROM #2A HAS A BONER FOR HER SO IF THEY ARE PART OF THE TEAM, HE WILL STICK CLOSE AND PROLBALY BE THE ONE THAT GETS JACKED. HER NATURAL FORM LOOKS LIKE A BIG YELLOW DIAREA THAT SQIRTS AROUND ON THE GROUND.She also has the ability to turn enemies temporarily transparent so she can copy their brains and therefore acquire any spells or psionic abilities they have.
Prisoner 4: This is the body of one of the White men who were escorting Sharon.
6. Abandoned well. It's 4' wide and 70' down and from the bottom there's a secret passage that leads underground and up to a trap door in the floor under the "bed" in 3A. Unfortunately two things: first thing is it will collapse after its used for the first time (i.e. when you get to 3a) so you'll probably have to fight your way out through 3 and second thing is it is full of the body parts left over after various sacrifices. The body parts carry psychic resonance patterns from all the victims of all the terrible Carcosa business going on nearby. Pretty much narrate it so it's terrible walking through there but don't do anything really unless you enjoy psychic combat type mechanics way more than I do. Also the hands crawl around and grab people and like the eyes roll around and follow them, etc.
There's also a cultist (stats as Room 2 above) (AC 8/12, MV 12, HD 1, AC 8 HEVY ROBES, 1 ATTACK WITH A KNIFE OR CLUB, AL C) who fell down here when he was drunk. The PCs will just wake him up from being unconscious by climbing down so he's jumpy. He has a broken knee, is sitting in a pile of his own vomit, and has a tangle of slightly living thorns that he uses as a weapon--d6 damage per round until you Str your way out of it plus you can't move--in addition to the standard cultist gear. He is too hungover to negotiate with.
If you're feeling lazy you can have the passage lead to those stairs south of area 3a.
7. The riding beasts the jale girl and the white girl will run off on are here. Now that their riders are gone, they wandered over here looking for food. They are Pithekoi, huge apes with simple saddles. They have blue fur and big blue eyes and are basically peaceable creatures, but wear big helmets the size of cauldrons with pointy bits on them to make them look scary. Even war trained Pithekoi mostly stand up on their hind legs and holler, a few will cuff people round the head (though a playful slap from a ten foot monkey HURTS) and really crazy bull Pithekoi will use clubs and swat airplanes. Four Pithekoi, MV12, AC6/14, HD4 Att. 2 X Smack round the head, AL N. The cultists haven't much use for the Pithekoi, and want them to leave. They are, however, much too cautious to attack them. They have been shouting at them and throwing stones and refuse at them to try and drive them off, and ducking back into the ruins whenever the Pithekoi roar and look ready to charge. As such, the Pithekoi are in an absolutely shit foul mood, and will roar and stomp their feet at anyone who approaches without food, or their riders. Their names are qegtuf, aqjnbazk'lx, and Fred.
8. The lake here is deep, dark and calm. The shore is muddy and swampy, and anyone approaching the lake will make a great deal of noise as they shove through reeds and brush, and from their splashing and the sucking of mud on their boots. Half-submerged, covered in algae appears to be the head of a giant (300') tall statue of some four eyed ancient creature poking out of the water. All of this noise has a 90% chance of attracting the Grindylow of the lake. The Grindylow has no trouble seeing in the water with its beady black eyes, and will lurk in the deep water until someone is foolish enough to try and swim, at which point it will wrap its long, brittle fingers around its victim's throat and drag them under. The Grindylow has no interest in communications with men of any color, but it has a particular hatred of cultists, who have been dumping their waste into the stream. If a fight with the cultists comes close to the edge of the marsh, it will slither out and drag away one of them away in a flash of fins and needle teeth and slithery slippery skin. The Grindylow will not, under any circumstances, produce a noise.
9. This small island contains a single tree, which rises above the reeds and mulch. A bird has made its nest in the bare branches. From the shore, a careful observer can see something glittering golden among the reeds.
10. This large building has suffered a cave in. Rubble and weeds choke the floor, and rain water has pooled in the south east corner. A ladder along the south wall leads to what remains of the roof. The cultists had tried to grow a small garden here, but abandoned it when they realized how much work it would take. They haven't come in here in a some time. There are several small poisonous snakes that live here. They lair in the rainwater that has pooled in the corner. They have one hit point each, and strike as a two hit die monster. They do no damage, but requires a save versus Poison. On a failed save, the victim grows more comatose over the length of a turn, and then sleeps for 8-15 (1d8+7) hours. In the pool is a small ruby worth 25 gp. Also, buried in the dirt is a small silver ring that depicts two entwined snakes, worth 50 gp.
10a. A ladder along the south wall of 10 leads here. The roof is dangerous to walk along (Flat 5% chance of collapsing each turn someone is moving around up there, but safe enough that if they are holding still it won't collapse) but would provide an excellent location if the adventurers have a bow or a ray gun.
10b.The room is mostly rubble, with cracks in the walls and a muddy floor. The walls have elaborate carvings on them. It's inhabitants are trapped here, because to leave the area they have to sneak past the Pithekoi at area 7, which is difficult in their agitated state.
This area represents a hex measuring 10 miles from one border to the opposite. It lies some 20 miles south of the Icy Wastes, in a marshy tributary of the Blistering River. It is a marshy, miserable stretch of land largely ignored by the Brown, Yellow and Red villages that are nearby. The relative safety of the area has made it an ideal home for a herd of bright red ankylosaurus that wade in the muck. They are not hostile unless provoked.
The area contains the underground home of the Amphibious ones and their Great Pale King.
HEX 2013 RANDOM ENCOUNTERS
For every four hours that the adventurers spend in hex 2013, roll a d6. On a roll of a 6, they have found the ruins the cultists are hiding in. On a 1 or 2, they find one of the locations listed below.
Roll a d12 while travelling
- A young White man, name Aqueus, who is tracking Sharon (room 5) to save her from being sacrificed. If the adventurers earn his trust, Aqueus will render all assistance he can in their endeavor. (Move 12, HD 3, Att 1, Carved tooth sword, Al L)
- A shrieking irradiated sorcerer.
- A caravan that operates off of a huge, table-backed beetle.
- A pedestal in the middle of a blasted and burnt area.