I'm going to say everything everyone has ever said! Also: Man, it is super hard to keep coming up with those titles that make you want to click through!
What is the most important thing about hit points?
That they are fun for the players!
But they aren't realistic!
People should get weaker as they get hurt!
Are you familiar with the death spiral?
Ten different ways to handle hit points!
The Ventures - Pipeline
- Classic! Roll maximum hit points once per level
- Old School! Reroll hit points every level and replace the maximum if the new total is higher. Optional: Add +1 hit point or +Con or +1+Con if it is not.
- Carcosan! Reroll hit points every combat! And damage! EVERYTHING RANDOM
- The LoFP! Roll hit points for a normal man and have those be your actual physical health.
- The Warhammer! Once your hit points are gone, you start taking critical hits!
- The Star Wars! Your constitution are your wounds, and your hit points protect those - criticals go straight to wounds!
- The Canadian Paladin! Spend random values of your hit die to do extra damage to your opponent!
- The Hackmaster! Called shots and specific hit locations on criticals!
- The Strange Magic! You can't do more damage then the amount of hit points you have!
- The 4e! H-H-H-Healing S-S-S-S-SURGE!
11. The Chainmail! You can take one hit per level!