On Permadeath in Modern Gaming

Hey all. Hope everyone enjoys the weekend. Some more agency discussion continues next Monday, but for now, I'll leave you with this. . .

"Headlock Games CEO Nobuyuki Okada stepped up to the podium to expound on the game's systems and philosophy, starting with the team's embrace of one of the most controversial topics in MMOs. Permadeath -- the permanent loss of your character upon death -- is so fringe, so polarizing, that it's simply been avoided by a vast majority of MMOs to date. Will this be too foreign of a concept for players to embrace in Wizardry Online, or will it be a major selling point?"

4 comments:

  1. Sad. I was kinda interested there for a moment. IMO, all permadeath and PKing do is lead to game abandonment by the casual because of the assaults of the obsessive and jerkish. I'll wait and see what is finally implemented, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will almost certainly check it out, but as you said, it requires a certain hardcore community or perfect balance for something like that to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEEAAASSSSS! Finally! An MMO where I have to be careful! Damn that would suit me to the ground. Commercially viable? I doubt it. But I'll have fun till it goes plop anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Permadeath would be old-school cool in PvE, not so sure about PvP.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...