On a List of What We Don't Need.

A lot of the communication around the BlogOSR has been terrible of late and this is because of several things.


Someone has forgotten that

CENSORSHIP IS BAD.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people - anyone read 1984? or like 100 other books? censorship of any kind is bad. I didn't think this was nearly the complicated issue that it appears to be.

In short, I think the problem is that American society is both founded on puritan principles and is an unsustainable anomaly in the history of man - 5% of the worlds population can't keep using all the worlds resources without it at some point turning into oppression.

Also, Dungeon Crawl Classics, the RPG is the single greatest RPG of all time - only it happens to do about 1000 things almost right. Lots of correctable issues.

There's a longer post in that - but I want to finish the beta games with my two groups before I comment. I'm also collecting the comments of my players.


Also: and I'm just throwing this out here. But a half page on NPC stats and skills is never useful. Should I stop the role play to look that up?

There you go. Three things we don't need - Censorship, non-corrected issues in DCC RPG, and pages of NPC data without info about personality or character

10 comments:

  1. I heartfully regret this post. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the idea of DCC being so close to perfection that it is in essence perfect. Looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this, an April Fools post ? DCC is nothing more than too many halfassed house ruled applied o a well illustrated OD&D variant... with a blatant "30 dollars for the dice" bit of extortion built right in.

    WOTC would sell a thousand times what goodman will eke out of their pitiful DCC sales if they would just release a reedited and nicely illustrated OD&D reprint

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do, as a general rule, not erase comments on my blog.

    But the fact that your comment is Anonymous and a rant is confusing to me. That's code for "I think you're trolling"

    Never being one for self control myself-

    The tone of the work (one of the issues with it) makes it clear that it is intended to explicitly *not* be something mined for house rules, but a different game then you are used to playing, cohesive within itself. That, both the idea and the execution needs work.

    I'm fairly sure you can use your current dice, print off a spinner, or your iphone/digital dice rollers and avoid any additional fees. We certainly had no problems with no one having the dice.

    I purchased a set because dice are awesome.

    I don't believe I mentioned WotC, but neither sales figures, research or historical precedent indicate that there is any truth to your last statement.

    Also, your unwillingness to identify yourself is unhonorable. That is between you and your sleep.

    As you were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to finish reading DCC.

    Censorship exists. It is problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAIT. CENSERSHIP ARE BAD??!! BUT AREN'T I AM FREE-MAN GUY AND TO HATE YOUR SHIT IF I WANTS TO?? AND BURN IT TO IF I ARE WANT CUZ I AM A FREE ANRICHST??!1

    :p
    -NUNYA

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for censorship, I wanted to say something. As a society, there are boundaries and while most censorship is bad, I wonder which kind within the OSR that you mean-the guy complaining about Raggi's art or the guy who bans people from forums and deletes their posts when they disagree with him? One of these at least is keeping us from delving further into depravity, or thinking that he is, the other is an immature child who cannot handle criticism and censors those with an opinion that is different from his-although he claims to be a super liberal and all about people having a voice....

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ancientvaults. You have the way of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...